David Fellows, is an experienced project manager and technical consultant with 15 years experience. He provides research, technical and management support to UK businesses, government and public sector in the fields of waste and resources management, environmental management, and renewable energy. David’s clients are principally local authorities and government, or private sector businesses working with the public sector.
Prior to working as a freelance consultant, David worked for a number of the UK’s leading waste consultancies, most recently he spent 5 years with the Waste Strategy and Procurement team at SLR Consulting Limited. Here he built up considerable experience of waste sorting and treatment technologies through the development of detailed feasibility studies and costed technology assessments forming the basis of business case development, due diligence and procurement. David has specific expertise in waste service and technology modelling.
David set up his own consultancy business in summer 2013, continuing to provide similar independent services to clients, working alongside experts across the sector and developing flexible business solutions with clients not able to afford the high rates of corporate consultancies.
Although now based in Shrewsbury, David’s considerable experience working in Scotland ensures that he remains involved in work both north and south of the border.
Summary of Skills
Based on sound industry experience support that David can provide to clients includes:
- Expert independent peer review of technical documents and technical / cost spreadsheets providing added value to projects.
- Independent project management
- Waste Collections Services Support Support to the development of local authority waste collection services for household and commercial waste. Including support to feasibility, new service development and existing service improvement.
- Waste Technology Assessment including feasibility, business case and due diligence studies focused on mechanical, MBT, anaerobic digestion and composting operations, with consideration of RDF recyclate and energy end markets.
- Bid Support Support to bidders for public sector waste management contracts. Drafting and review of Method Statements, production of waste and energy flow models.
- Procurement and financial support Support to the procurement of infrastructure and service contracts, including procurement stage and evaluation.
- Market research / assessment for process feedstocks (e.g. food waste, RDF) and offtakes / energy.
- Policy & Legislation Advice through project delivery on current UK / EU policy and legislation affecting waste management and associated energy/renewables development.
David’s public sector clients have included local authorities across Scotland and the UK, Scottish Government, Welsh Assembly Government, MoD (Defence Estates), NHS Scotland, SEPA, WRAP/Zero Waste Scotland. In the private sector, clients have ranged from large private sector companies such as Biffa, Veolia, and FCC to supporting small enterprises. David is currently developing Waste Composition Analysis work in partnership with Waste Intelligence.
Current and recent work has included:
- Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea - in partnership with Waste Intelligence to analyse waste from Council buildings and provide advice on improving in-house segregation and recycling.
- Highland Council – business case orientated options study into future mechanical sorting of co-mingled recyclate and treatment of residual waste.
- Brent Council – support to the procurement of Public Realm Services Contract, in particular to bid evaluation.
- South Norfolk Council – detailed resource-orientated and costed assessment of household and trade waste collection services.
- Clyde Valley Councils – providing the detailed options assessment and final outline business case for the councils’ residual waste treatment; forming the basis of the current procurement process.
- Fife and Perth & Kinross Councils – detailed technical and cost evaluation of options for residual waste treatment.
Tel: 0121 288 5237
Mob: 07899 885 971